Request for access to clinical or medical records
The Act respecting access to documents held by public bodies and the protection of personal information grants individuals rights such as the right to access documents held by public bodies, access to their personal information and the right to have it corrected. The Act also ensures the confidentiality of information held by public bodies.
At the CISSS de l’Outaouais, document access requests should be addressed to the Medical Records Department of each facility.
To make such a request, take the following steps:
Step 1 - Receipt of requests
- Requests must be in writing, and must be sufficiently specific to allow tracking of the document(s).
- The minimum information required is as follows: last name, first name, date of birth, gender, document(s) requested, target period, complete mailing address, telephone number and preferred transmission method.
- A signed consent form must be submitted along with the request. It is recommended that you use the Authorization form to send information contained in the medical records (French version). Individuals aged 14 and older must complete and sign their requests themselves.
Step 2 - Analysis and evaluation of requests
- Records technicians analyze requests to determine their eligibility and apply any required legal restrictions.
Step 3 – Answering requests
- Requests must be answered as soon as possible, based on priorities and available resources.
- In the event of disputes, write to Marie-Claude Sirois, Manager, Access to information and protection of personal information (clinical) at the CISSS de l’Outaouais.