General diagnostic X-rays are intended to help the physician make a diagnosis. Simple X-ray scans are photographs taken using X-rays, which pass through the human body and make internal parts visible.
Denser tissue, such as bones, absorbs more rays (appearing white on the film), while pockets of gas and other less dense areas are darker (black on the film).
The rays that do pass through the body form a black and white image on a specialized digital receiver.
How do I access the services?
A properly filled in physician’s request is necessary.
At all hospitals, the service is available 24 hours a day for emergency cases and inpatients.
What to bring?
- You’ll need your health insurance card and hospital card.
- If you have the original copy of your test request, be sure to bring it with you.
What to expect?
- The test takes from 5 to 10 minutes.
- It is done in a room with a mobile platform and a transmitter that can be moved and angled in different directions.
- You will need to wear a hospital gown. You may be asked to remove jewellery and/or eyeglasses, which otherwise could appear on the image and hide some parts of it.
- You may be offered a lead-lined vest to protect certain parts of the body that are vulnerable to radiation.
- You will have to hold still for a few seconds, as for a photograph, and the picture will be taken.
- X-rays cannot be felt. The test is quick and painless.
Where and when are services provided?
Gatineau Hospital - 909 La Vérendrye Blvd. (ground floor, station 16)
Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (except statutory holidays)
Hull Hospital - 116 Lionel-Émond Blvd. (2nd floor )
Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (except statutory holidays)
Papineau Hospital - 155 Maclaren St. (1st floor)
Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (except statutory holidays)
CLSC Petite-Nation - 14 St-André St., St-André Avellin
Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (except statutory holidays)
Wakefield Memorial Hospital - 101 Burnside Rd.
By appointment, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (except statutory holidays)
Pontiac Hospital - 200 Argue St., ground floor
Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (except statutory holidays)
Maniwaki Hospital - 309 Desjardins Blvd. (1st floor)
Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (except statutory holidays)