Find a doctor
Do you have a physical health problem, but have no doctor?
- You can register with a family doctor through the Registering with a family doctor (GAMF) service at the Portail santé mieux-être of the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux.The site lists the eligibility criteria as well as all registration requirements.
- You can check to see whether there is a medical clinic or a family medicine group (or GMF) located near you, and which accepts patients with no doctor at their walk-in clinic.
- In the meantime, you can always contact Info-Santé by dialing 811. A nurse will assess your problem, provide you with information, and where appropriate, direct you to where you need to go.
- If your problem is serious and urgent, you should go to the hospital emergency. In case of an extreme emergency, dial 911 to request an ambulance.
GACO and GAMF
Attention: Note that if you have already registered with an access window for orphan clients (GACO), you do not need to register again. Both your registration and waiting priority will be maintained.
If you wish to change your contact information or your health information in reference to your request, go directly to the GAMF on the Portail santé mieux-être of the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux . Your registration will be updated and you will maintain you waiting priority.
You can also contact medical clinics or family medicine groups (GMF) located near you directly to see if they are accepting new patients. Information on the different clinics and GMFs is available on the Finding a resource section of the Portail santé mieux-être. GMFs are groups of family doctors (or general practitioners) working closely with other health professionals, including social workers, nutritionists, psychologists, kinesiologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and pharmacists.
Registering with a Family Doctor
Once you find a family doctor or one is assigned to you, you should register with him by completing the registration form he will provide when you meet.
Registration with a doctor is voluntary and free of charge. Note that a registration can be cancelled in the following cases:
- If you register with another doctor.
- If your doctor is no longer able to provide you with medical care; for example, if he leaves the region or retires. To request another doctor, you can contact your access window for orphan clients (GACO). While waiting to get another doctor, you will retain your current family doctor.
- If you are moving or can no longer go to your current clinic, you can contact your GACO to request another doctor. While waiting to get another doctor, you will retain your current family doctor.
In other situations, you may not be able to request another doctor while retaining your current one. In those cases, you must unregister from your current doctor. When you unregister, you could be left without access to that doctor’s services. You may also no longer have access to the services offered by the clinic you have been using.
To unregister from your current doctor, contact the RAMQ. You can then register on the waiting list by using the GAMF on the Portail santé mieux-être of the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux or by telephone by contacting your access window for orphan clients (GACO).
Dealing with a physical health problem?
Dial 811, Option 1